Lucknow: The Lakhimpur violence has now culminated in a major political battle between the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party and the Congress-led opposition parties. On Tuesday, Sitapur police arrested Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi and at least 10 others for “preventing the commission of cognizable offences”. This comes after keeping her at the local guest house for 24 hours. Apart from Priyanka Gandhi, those arrested include Congress leader Deepender Singh Hooda, UP Congress state president Ajay Kumar Lallu and party MLC Deepak Singh.
Meanwhile, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel was stopped from exiting the Lucknow airport. Baghel sat on a dharna at the airport after he was denied access to the Uttar Pradesh Congress office amid widespread protests over the Lakhimpur Kheri violence. “I am being prevented from leaving Lucknow airport without any orders,” he wrote in a tweet along with a picture of himself sitting on the floor at the airport. Also read- UP Assembly Election 2022: Akhilesh Yadav made a big statement, said the announcement of the names of the candidates…
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra wanted to visit Lakhimpur Kheri, but due to the imposition of Section 144 of CrPC in the district, the administration has banned the entry of leaders. We had to stop Priyanka in Sitapur, said Sitapur DM Vishal Bhardwaj.
- 24 hours after being kept at a local guest house, Sitapur police arrested Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi and at least 10 others for “preventing the commission of cognizable offences”.
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel was on Tuesday stopped from coming out of Lucknow’s Chaudhary Charan Singh airport when he arrived to visit the state Congress office and meet party leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
- “We do not believe that the BJP government will bring the guilty to justice. We appeal to the farmers to oust this government from power. The video and the people present at the spot indicated the involvement of the son of Minister of State for Home (Ajay Mishra Teni) as well as others,” Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav told ANI.
- “We are not aware of how the incident happened. It is seen in the video that the driver has been killed by being pulled from the car. If it was my son, he would be dead. It is impossible to get out of a place where the car rammed over people amidst a crowd of thousands,” says MoS Ajay Mishra.
- Punjab Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi arrived in New Delhi on Tuesday, where he will meet Union Home Minister Amit Shah in the evening. Before leaving for Delhi, Channi told reporters at the Chandigarh airport that he would discuss the Lakhimpur Kheri incident with Shah.
Our honorable MPs Dr Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar, Dola Sen, Pratima Mandal, Abir Ranjan Biswas and Sushmita Dev met the families who have lost their loved ones. #lakhimpur kheer accident.@BJP4India The leaders have treated our farmers with utmost cruelty.
We demand justice! pic.twitter.com/zwrSSfkZr2
— All India Trinamool Congress (@AITCofficial) 5 October 2021
Also read- Bhupesh Baghel picketed after being stopped at Lucknow airport, said no intention to go to Lakhimpur
- Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) chief Jayant Chaudhary while advocating for President’s rule in Uttar Pradesh said that the entire state machinery under Yogi Adityanath government is trying to suppress the truth.
- If the Union Minister’s son behind the brutal killing of farmers is not arrested by tomorrow, and our leader @priyanka gandhi Illegal arrest did not stop the farmers’ fight, Punjab Congress will march towards Lakhimpur Kheri! @INCIndia @INCPunjab
— Navjot Singh Sidhu (@sheryontopp) 5 October 2021
- Ahead of the meeting, Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut met Congress leader Rahul Gandhi in Delhi, he said, “Priyanka Gandhi has been arrested, and therefore it is necessary to meet Rahul Gandhi. If the law is equal for all, then why are Priyanka in jail and the accused roaming freely?